Saturday, March 3, 2012

Saturday Morning With Dad

Today was the first time it was my job to not only put clothes on Anika but also pick those clothes out.  This sounded like a simple enough task: (1) call to mind that your daughter is 2 months old; (2) read the labels and find corresponding pants and shirt; (3) try to coordinate colors to make clear Anika is a baby girl and not a boy.  But nothing is as simple as it seems.  I located a 0 to 3 month shirt with pink and purple in it, put on her little jeans (apparently called "jeggings"), and coordinated the purple in the onesie with cool purple smart wool socks (thanks Aunt Lynn!).  Alas, 15 minutes later, by the time I got downstairs and was ready to feed her, she was shivering in her shirt.  I discovered that I needed to apply a bit more skepticism to the labeling of baby clothes:

The rolling of the sleeves did not solve the problem
She was surprisingly content despite drowning in her onesie
Proof that I can read labels--spatial reasoning is not my strong suit
Thus, we were back to the drawing board.  Flumoxed by how hard this seemed, I resorted to the most simple outfit I could come up with.  White shirt, jeans, and socks.  Hard to screw up (the outfit looks good on my wife), and I knew everything I was putting on fit her.  She tolerated this process fairly well.  It's nice to know she's so forgiving already.

Not my best diapering
Wondering why she's getting undressed twice in 20 minutes
Fairly pleased with the result, though I worry I've failed at step (3)
Done and bored with entertaining Dad's struggling with basic tasks like putting clothes on me
We then move to feeding, which went well.  The fussy-ness begins, and I resort to Tim McGraw and dancing her around the living room.  The dancing around and singing because it's the only thing that seems to lull her to sleep, and the Tim McGraw because it's the only music I know most of the words to.  (I listen to mostly sermons and sports, talk-radio in the car--this may need to change because I don't know how I feel about singing about "bbq stains on my white t-shirt" and "corn popping up in rows" to my daughter.)  Alicia has found success with Sugarland.

She likes to be close to the speaker; she's going to like worship at Hope

Tim McGraw works like a charm (it's not my vocals), and she is fast asleep in the kitchen while I make myself some breakfast. 


Breakfast is served and all is right in the world
Mom comes home from breakfast with the small group girls, and she and Anika moved on to more sophisticated tasks. 

Tiger mom in action
Child prodigy?

1 comment:

  1. B -
    This pics are incredible! Keep it up. And your "jeggings" comment slayed me, so hilarious!

    ReplyDelete